Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Verbs: Group 2

Hey guys, it's that time again. Today we're covering Group 2 verbs. And before we start, I have to put my disclaimer out there.

***The information I provide here is what I have learned so far. I believe it to be correct as I have learned it. However, there is a chance for error. If you spot an error or think you can explain it better, please contact me right away. My goal is to keep these posts updated with correct information, not only for me, but for anyone who follows after me.***

Alright. Let's get to it.

You may remember from Group 1 verbs (I hope you remember) that the stem always ends in -a and the present tense in -ar.

For Group 2 verbs, the stem ends in a consonant. The infinitive will still end in -a. The present tense will end in -er. The past imperfect will end in either -de or -te. And the past perfect will end in -d, -t, and -da, or -t, -t, and -ta.

This may sound confusing at first, but it gets easier. Just stay with me.

Group 2 is split into two sub groups. 2a and 2b. Which group a verb falls into is decided by the stem.
If a stem ends in a voiced consonant (such as -g in ring) it is 2a. If the stem ends in a voiceless consonant (such as -p in köp) it is 2b.

Example 2a: Ring - ring
                    att ringa - to ring
                   Jag ringer - I ring
                   Jag ringde - I rang
                   Jag har ringt - I have rang

Example 2b: köp - buy
                        att köpa - to buy
                        Jag köper - I buy (am buying)
                        Jag köpte - I bought
                        Jag har köpt - I have bought

*note: The 'k' placed next to the 'ö' in this situation, sounds like an 'sh'. We'll go over that in another post.*

That's it for Group 2. With a little practice, these should be as easy as Group 1. Here are some Group 2 verbs to practice with, which you can also find in the memrise course.

köper - buy
ringer - ring
åker - go / ride / drive
hjälper - help
läser - read
stänger - close
behöver - need
tycker - think
försöker - try

That's it. Tack så mycket for stopping by.
Hej då.

Are you a Swede, or just familiar with Swedish grammar? Let me know how I'm doing. Leave a comment below or email me at tillswedish[at]gmail[dot]com.

No comments:

Post a Comment